Tuesday 2 June 2015

Vandaecous orchids progress - new roots!

As mentioned in my previous post, I bravely took all my vanda-type orchids out of their medium and left their roots to air.  I have been spraying them very frequently - sometimes twice a day as it has not only been hot but very windy.  Thankfully the humidity has also been quite high so this has helped.

I'm glad to report that new roots are appearing and this is great as that's the first sign that they are going to thrive... I think!

First off, the NOID vanda that I bought at the flower show in March.  After looking very dried out and crinkly, now new juicy root tips have emerged from the old dead looking roots.  A new leaf has also appeared at the crown so I'm hoping this plant has been revived!

NoID Vanda from Flower Show

Next, the V. Coerulescens seedling also bought at the flower show in March.  This has also just produced a tiny new root tip.  But no new leaves so I should probably keep an eye on this.

Vanda Coerulescens

The flasked V. Miss Joaquin which I brought back last autumn is still looking very delicate and touch and go but a tiny tiny root tip has emerged to give me some hope!  The leaves, however, are not looking great, so am rather anxious about this.

Vanda Miss Joaquin

The other flasked Vanda looks more robust and seems to have a new leaf beginning.  But no new roots so I'm also rather anxious.  It may be that I should have given these a bit more time in the moss before letting them go "bare" rooted!

NoID de-flasked Vanda

NoID deflasked Vanda with new leaf emerging


The purple neofinetia from the Flower show has also produced a number of new root tips which is encouraging as some of the leaves are looking quite crinkled so I'm a little worried that this is suffering a bit.  However, the new leaf at the crown seems to be growing fine so again, I hope this means it is happy!

Purple Neofinetia
The Pelatantheria Rivesii also seems to be making progress - fresh new roots growing fine albeit from the top of the plant.  A new leaf is also emerging.  Again, some of the lower leaves a looking slightly wrinkled but generally this seems to doing okay.

Pelatantheria Rivesii
The NoID vanda which I brought back from HOLF is also now sprouting a number of new roots.  I am slightly kicking myself as this happened a number of times previously and each time before, I think covered the roots up thinking they needed to be kept moist and resulting in them ultimately rotting.  This is probably why this has not made much progress for a long time since I got it.  Oh well, you live and learn!

NoID vanda from HOLF
I made the same mistake with this Aerides Flabellata which was purchase at last year's Flower show, I think.  I kept covering up any new roots.  It seems to be doing quite well now but is still quite tiny in size.

Aerides Flabellata





No comments:

Post a Comment