Friday 17 April 2015

Zygopetalum

April 2015.  The plant was beginning to overflow out of its pot so I decided to repot it. Found it was completely root bound so decided to split the plant into 3.



I was a bit worried that I had been too heavy handed with the removal of the roots and splitting the plants but I'm now very surprised to find that the new shoots seem to be sending out spikes.  Not sure if that is a good thing or not!






January 2015. Was pleasantly surprised in December to see a spike appearing and thrilled when these gorgeous blooms appeared.  They are a lot darker than the original blooms and I love the intense colours.  However the variegation which comes through with the lighter colour is also very pretty... Its also got a lovely delicate scent...






Late August 2014.  The new growth has matured so the plant is looking a lot fuller now... I'm very pleased that it has thrived as it's flowers are very special and hopefully it will rebloom in the cooler weather.


The maturing new growth



June 2014.  Lots of new growth now in spite of the very hot weather... Or maybe because of it?


 




May 2014.  This did not do well to begin with and even though there were a few spikes when I bought it, none of them ended up flowering (sniff!) and I thought that the plant itself was not going to survive.  Not sure why - perhaps my balcony was too cold and windy?  Or perhaps just the usual adjustment period that most newly bought orchids go through?

Now the weather has warmed up and the plant is looking much healthier and I'm very happy to see what seems to be some new growth! 




March 2014.  Just bought this at the 2014 Flower Show.  The colours are amazing!  Care instructions


March 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment